Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Dragons' New Year Resolutions

Oh, yes, Dragons do make resolutions. Oaths. Promises, declarations, decrees of change, intent, aims, goals. Objectives. I've made over a thousand of them, myself, one for every year in which I have trod upon or flown over this good earth. Well, I probably missed a few, one or two, when I was a dragonette--I wasn't as focused in my early days. But eventually I did start making resolutions and, indeed, I have even kept a few of them. After the Great London Fire in 1666, I promised that I would never--ever--ad infinitude--sneak chocolate cake from a bakery again. Or, at least that I wouldn't melt a door to get into the establishment. A bit of an error that night, I'll admit. But I made a promise and I haven't done that again. Occasionally I slip up, err, fail to achieve a goal--after all, I am only a Dragon. Now, I wasn't around for the destruction of Pompeii in A.D. 79, but knowing of that misadventure by a relative, I vowed to avoid sleeping in volcano caldera's or in deeper chambers where an unexpected sneeze could cause a bit of a disruption. A basic blowout. Well, alright--one big eruption. Vesuvius was, in truth, an accident. I swear I was Not sleeping in the underlying chambers of Krakatau when that one blew! Wasn't sleeping at all...just tasting a little of the lava and my tail hit something it shouldn't. Things shifted. Whoa--I've never achieved such a high flight so fast in all my thousand years! I do not, however, claim fault for the temperature changes that followed that one...

It is not easy being large/huge/an intimidating bulk, or having to control a length of tail and rather awkward wings at the same time. Humans have no idea. I'm much better at it than in my youth, but others of my breed will never achieve the finesse/refinement/expertise of body control that I have. Many of the world's disasters have been cause by them, not yours truly.

In any case, back to resolutions. This year my goal is to achieve a bit of notoriety for myself. I've remained hidden/low on the horizon/out of the line of sight for most of my life--but this book thing, being the hero of several novels; well, s'not as if I can keep my mighty self unknown now. Once humans read of my exploits/achievements/capabilities, once the awe has settled, curiosity will follow. Humble though I am, I cannot in good conscience keep my jaws clamped. I have much to say and share, and therefore have vowed that my efforts will be toward expanding my influence, words, thoughts, wisdom into the world via this marvelous little dragonette called the Internet. What, you didn't know this whole business is born of Dragon magic? Haven't you noted the wings and tail and claws inherent to this swift flying screen that flashes faster than an exhalation before your eyes? Ha. It is a Dragon invention, born of Dragon fire and bone and heart...ergo it is, in truth, a dragonette. Can't imagine how big or strong it will be when fully grown. Oh, but I feel the pride of a father even though I'm not certain if it sprang from one of my escapades or not. No matter. It takes a village to raise a proper Dragon, and I shall have my part in it.

So...to help me fulfill my goal, you must read the written word upon these pages. Scroll down for what has been said, and tune in for what will be said. I will be so bereft if my efforts come to naught. I will shortly begin posting more of the books in which I play so pivotal a part. The story, after all, must go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment